Cuba Gooding Jr.’s Groping Trial Puts on Hold Until Early October
The ‘Jerry Maguire’ actor makes an appearance in a New York courtroom to face charges over claims that he forcibly touched a woman’s breast, only to discover the prosecutors are not ready for trial.
AceShowbiz -The trial surrounding sexual misconduct allegations against Cuba Gooding Jr. has been postponed so prosecutors can gather more evidence against the Oscar winner.
The “Jerry Maguire” star appeared in a New York courtroom on Tuesday, September 2 to face charges he forcibly touched a woman’s breast at New York City’s Magic Hour rooftop bar in June.
The case has been pushed to October 10 after Deputy District Attorney Jenna Long and prosecutors from the New York County D.A.’s office announced they are not ready for trial.
Gooding Jr. previously denied the allegation and his lawyer, Mark Heller, maintains the postponement is the result of no evidence being available.
“We believe the only reason he was arrested and prosecuted was because of his celebrity status,” Heller told reporters on Tuesday.
Last month (August 2019), Heller claimed the Oscar winner’s accuser has not co-operated with investigators.
“The Court Ordered the Trial to commence next Tuesday, September 3, 2019, although there is speculation of the Accuser’s lack of cooperation with the District Attorney’s Office,” Heller said. “The Defense and Cuba Gooding Jr. will appear in Court and press to start the Trial as directed by the Court on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 considering that 77 days have elapsed since Cuba Gooding Jr. was arrested.”
Source: Read Full Article