‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ Director Reveals the Truth Behind Alleged NC-17 Version of the Movie
Mrs. Doubtfire director Chris Columbus is setting the record straight about a possible NC-17 cut of his movie.
On Thursday (March 18), a tweet that claimed there were PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17 cuts of the beloved Robin Williams film went viral. People had mixed thoughts about the idea of an explicit cut of the film.
Chris clarified in an interview with EW on Friday that while there isn’t an NC-17 cut of the film, there are three separate versions of it and one of them is R-rated.
“The reality is that there was a deal between Robin and myself, which was, he’ll do one or two, three scripted takes. And then he would say, ‘Then let me play.’ And we would basically go on anywhere between 15 to 22 takes, I think 22 being the most I remember,” the director explained.
Chris recalled that Robin would create new lines and versions for every take. “He would sometimes go into territory that wouldn’t be appropriate for a PG-13 movie, but certainly appropriate and hilariously funny for an R-rated film. I only [previously] used the phrase NC-17 as a joke. There could be no NC-17 version of the movie,” he said.
The director also added that while Robin‘s improv led to “three or four” versions of the film, he isn’t necessarily planning on releasing them.
“I would be open to maybe doing a documentary about the making of the film, and enabling people to see certain scenes re-edited in an R-rated version,” Chris said. “The problem is, I don’t recall most of it. I only know what’s in the movie at this point because it’s been a long time. But I do remember it was outrageously funny material.”
“I think that that would be the best approach. I’m very proud of the film… I’m in a good place with Mrs. Doubtfire, so there’s really no reason to do the definitive cut. The definitive cut of Mrs. Doubtfire is out in the world right now,” he concluded.
Find out what happened to the house they shot the movie in…
Source: Read Full Article