12 Best SPF For Acne 2021 | The Sun UK
SOME acne sufferers may (mistakenly) believe that they shouldn't use sunscreen as it's just another layer of potentially pore-clogging cream.
But the best SPFs for acne are now lightweight, oil-free formulas that won't leave you with a greasy residue.
When you have sensitive, acne-prone skin then the last thing you want to do is smother your face in really greasy suncream that clogs up your pores.
But a lot of acne medications and treatments make your skin even more prone to sunburn, so SPF is an absolute-must for our acne-sufferers out there.
The main elements that you need to look for in acne-friendly SPF is that it's oil-free, lightweight and containing ingredients like niacinamide, lactic acid, zinc oxide and antioxidants.
Everyone deserves to have the best protection from the sun's damage, so we've found the best SPFs for acne around now.
1. Best high SPF for acne: La Roche-Posay Anti-Shine SPF
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Anti-Shine SPF50+ 50ml, £18 from Feel Unique – buy here
Looking for a cream that gives great shine-control? This is it.
It's super-fast-absorbing and has a dry finish without leaving white marks. The lightweight mattifying fluid is hypoallergenic, water-resistant and soothing on inflamed skin, plus it's got an SPF of 50+.
It also works to prevent acne-breakouts post-sun exposure, and helps to stop prickly heat episodes.
2. Best mattifying SPF for acne: Bioderma Mattifying SPF
- Bioderma Photoderm AKN Mat SPF30, £10.30 from FeelUnique – buy here
This mattifying lotion controls shine like a boss.
Its broad spectrum protection is non-greasy, and it's got a fancy ingredient called Fluidactiv that prevents the clogging of your pores and development of blemishes.
As well as being hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic, it also contains anti-ageing goodies to keep wrinkles from knocking at the door.
3. Best shine-free finish SPF for acne: Avène Cleanance Mattifying Sunscreen
- Avène Cleanance Sunscreen SPF50+ Very High Protection 50ml, £17.50 from Boots – buy here
Developed specifically for oily and blemish-prone skin, this cream packs an SPF punch with a factor 50, while also actively working to battle breakouts.
A mix of potent antioxidants renew and protect skin cells, and the Avène Thermal Spring Water softens and soothes redness associated with acne.
What's more, it's packed with monolaurin, which is a sebum-regulating, mattifying ingredient for a no-shine finish.
4. Best anti-ageing SPF for acne: Heliocare Oil-Free SPF
- Heliocare 360° Sun Protection Gel Oil-Free SPF 50, £18.61 from Amazon – buy here
When you suffer with blemish-prone skin and you see 'oil-free' and 'dry touch' in the product title, you know you're onto a winner.
This Heliocare lotion should definitely be high on your to-buy list. It's non-comedogenic so less likely to block pores and cause breakouts.
It's fast-absorbing and smells nice too. Not something you hear very often about sunscreen.
5. Best everyday SPF for acne: Neutrogena Hydrating Lotion
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost City Shield SPF Moisturiser, £8.34 from Amazon – buy here
Grease-prone girls, sit up and take notice – this is a brilliant oil-free sunscreen to wear daily under your makeup.
It's lightweight and hydrating without being greasy thanks to the absorbing water-gel formula.
The cream melts invisibly into skin, and its hyaluronic acid locks in moisture without shine. It's also non-comedogenic, which means it won't clog pores and build up a breakout.
The product is perfect for on-the-go city gals and outdoorsy country lasses alike.
6. Best natural formula SPF for acne: REN Clean Screen Mineral SPF30
- REN Clean Screen Mineral SPF30, £32 from Look Fantastic – buy here
REN is a popular brand for a lot of reasons: it uses recycled packaging and natural materials to minimise its environmental impact, for one.
Secondly, the products are gentle yet effective, like this mattifying face sunscreen which contains zinc oxide to protect the skin from the sun's UVA/UVB rays as well as blue light.
It goes on matte and gives skin a less-greasy appearance thanks to ingredients like yellow passionfruit seed extract and soothing rice extract.
7. Best SPF for acne for all day oil control: Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 45
- Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 45, £35 from Cult Beauty – buy here
Murad have been making health-focused skincare since 1989.
Their oil and pore control mattifer is ideal for anyone who wants to keep their oily complexion shine-free while enjoying the benefits of sun protection.
It will give you a shine-free complexion for up to 10 hours, and also contains avocado and African yellow wood bark extracts, to improve skin's condition and make it less acne-prone.
8. Best tinted SPF for acne: Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions BB Cream SPF40
- Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions BB Cream SPF40, £30 from John Lewis – buy here
Clinique's BB cream is designed for those with blemish-prone skin, and allows users to lightly build up the coverage so acne is covered up while your skin is protected from the sun.
The mattifying formula has quite the fan club of reviewers, who are impressed with the lightweight-yet-full coverage and the fact it doesn't irritate the skin.
It might be a little more pricey at £30, but with Clinique, a pea-sized amount goes a long way.
9. Best SPF for acne mist: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Invisible Face Mist SPF 50+
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Invisible Face Mist SPF 50+, £14 from Look Fantastic – buy here
With an ultra-high SPF, non-greasy finish and lightweight texture, La Roche-Posay's Invisible Face Mist is the go-to SPF for any acne-prone skin types.
The best part is that it's one of the few SPF sprays that won't leave a white cast.
10. Best gel cream SPF for acne: Eucerin Sun Oil Control Face Protection SPF 50+
- Eucerin Sun Oil Control Face Protection SPF 50+, £16 from Boots – buy here
This oil control gel-cream from Eucerin ticks every box, with a high SPF and oil control ingredients.
This fragrance-free sun cream feels dry once it's on the skin and keeps skin shine-free for hours.
It can also be used in conjunction with topical acne medication.
11. Best mattifying SPF for acne: SVR Sebiaclear Daily Sunscreen SPF50
- SVR Sebiaclear Daily Sunscreen SPF50 – 50ml, £17 from LookFantastic – buy here
If you have combination or oily skin, then the SVR Sebiaclear Daily Sunscreen is perfect for you.
Combining gluconolactone and niacinamide, this anti-blemish formula is light, moisturising and works to mattify your complexion.
There are some great reviews for this on LookFantastic too, such as: "Loved this SPF, didn't clog pores soaked in quickly would 100% use this again."
12. Best anti-ageing SPF for acne: Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50
- Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50, £19 from Beauty Bay – buy here
Made in sunny California, the Dermalogica products are loved by celebrities like Billie Piper and Kelly Brook.
And the Dynamic Skin Recover SPF50 is one of the well-known brands best-sellers.
It's medium-weight, vegan, cruelty-free and combines antioxidant white tea with polypeptide to create an anti-ageing SPF cream.
Is SPF good for acne?
Regardless of your skin type, you should be wearing an SPF daily – and an SPF of 30 and up on sunnier days. Those with acne-prone skin need to look out for sunscreens billed as 'oil-free' and 'non comedogenic'. If you are using an acne-based treatment like benzoyl peroxide or taking antibiotic tablets for your acne, it's even more imperative that you apply an SPF since those products can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Be sure to check out the NHS guidelines on the various treatment options for acne.
Which sunscreen is best for oily acne skin?
Mattifying sunscreens can help anyone with naturally oily skin since they are non-greasy and lightweight. Many of these also contain ingredients which absorb oil – essential so that you don't look shiny, they can also help to prevent future breakouts. La Roche-Posay, Ren, and Clinique all have oil-free SPFs that those with acne-prone skin can use.
Can I apply sunscreen on pimples?
You need to apply sunscreen evenly across the skin – those with acne-prone skin are just as prone to sunburn. In addition, acne sufferers are also at risk of hyperpigmentation and dry skin from sun exposure – all the more reason for them to wear sunscreen.
Source: Read Full Article