BBC viewers voice concern for star presenter Huw Edwards's sore eye

Huw alright? BBC viewers voice concern for news anchor Edwards as he appears with a bloodshot right eye – with some speculating non-stop royal reporting has left him ‘exhausted’

  • BBC One viewers expressed concerns over news presenter’s sore-looking eye 
  • Edwards is presenting the BBC coverage of today’s royal procession in Scotland
  • Newsman’s right eye appeared bloodshot as he presented coverage of Queen’s coffin being moved from Holyroodhouse Palace to St Giles Cathedral 
  • Full coverage: Click here to see all our coverage of the Queen’s passing

BBC News viewers have voiced concerns for Huw Edwards’ health after the presenter was seen with a bloodshot right eye during today’s royal coverage. 

The Welsh presenter, 61, has been a constant presence on screens since it was first announced the Queen was unwell on Thursday afternoon. 

The broadcaster sparked concern on social media this afternoon while covering the procession that saw the late Monarch’s coffin being moved from Holyroodhouse Palace to St Giles Cathedral. 

Viewers spotted the presenter’s blood-shot eye, saying they hoped he would get it treated and surmising he must be ‘shattered’.  

BBC One viewers expressed have concerns over news presenter’s sore-looking right eye

The Welsh presenter, 61, has been a key figure for BBC One during the coverage of the Queen’s death since it was announced last Thursday

 

Viewers voiced their concerns foe Huw, with some suggesting he didn’t get much rest after covering the news of the Queen’s death this weekend 

Huw was the presenter who broke the news of the Queen’s death to the nation on Thursday afternoon at 6:30pm. 

The presenter worked all the way through Thursday and was praised for his professionalism. 

Back on screens again today, the presenter looked dapper in a navy suit as he resumed his coverage of the events taking place during the nation’s period of mourning for the Queen.  

Fans of the broadcaster expressed concern on social media. They wrote: ‘Worried about Huw’s eye. Hope he gets some treatment for that,’ one fan said. 

‘Poor Huw, your eye looks so sore,’ another wrote, while one asked: ‘what’s happened to Huw Edwards’ eye?’

BBC News broadcaster Huw Edwards had been ‘preparing, practising and rehearsing in front of his bathroom mirror’ for the Queen’s death announcement – before it sadly finally came on Thursday last week

Some viewers suggested the presenter had been working too hard.   

‘Huw Edwards’ eye is bloodshot. Bet she’s shattered bless him,’ one said. 

‘Bit concerned a about Huw Edwards’ eye, hope he has a good break planned sometime soon, it’s probably been the heaviest week of his life,’ one wrote. 

Edwards, 61, has received widespread praise for his sensitive and genuine delivery of the news on Thursday night, and it’s reported that he spent months preparing for moment. 

After Buckingham Palace shared doctors’ concerns for the Queen’s health about midday on Thursday, the BBC suspended its regular programming and replaced it with continuous news coverage presented by Edwards dressed in black and wearing a black tie.

The Palace issued a statement officially confirming the Queen had died ‘peacefully’ at 6.30pm that evening.

The public service broadcaster had a total of 9.83million people tuned into BBC One at 6.30pm when the death of Queen Elizabeth II (pictured just two days before she died) was officially announced

At the time, her four children and grandson Prince William were together at Balmoral. Harry was in the air on the way to be with his family.

Writer Alastair Campbell said on Twitter Edwards told him months ago ‘he had been preparing, practising and even rehearsing in front of his bathroom mirror for this moment for some time’.

It has been revealed that Huw Edwards had been reportedly preparing for this moment by ‘rehearsing in front of his bathroom mirror for some time’.

The 61-year-old news presenter announced the news solemnly, looking into the camera to repeat Buckingham Palace’s statement twice.

Alistair Campbell, the former spokesperson for ex-PM Tony Blair, revealed a conversation he had with the BBC newsreader a few months prior to yesterday’s historical announcement.

In a tweet, he said: ‘[Huw Edwards] told me a few months ago he had been preparing, practising and even rehearsing in front of his bathroom mirror for this moment for some time.

‘He said too that the Queen’s death would be the biggest challenge to BBC News in its history. He did superbly.’

Mr Campbell also added that although he is out of the UK at the minute he has heard that the BBC’s coverage has been ‘absolutely brilliant’ which should ‘surprise nobody’, he added.

After Buckingham Palace shared doctors’ concerns for the Queen’s health, the BBC suspended its regular programming and replaced it with continuous news coverage presented by Huw Edwards dressed in black and wearing a black tie.

Source: Read Full Article