I worry agoraphobic daughter-in-law will make grandkids nervous wrecks

DEAR DEIDRE: MY daughter-in-law won’t leave her house.

I’m worried her anxiety is rubbing off on my grandchildren.

For more advice from Dear Deidre

No issue is too small, too large or too embarrassing. Read our personal replies here.

  • Dear Deidre on Mental Health
  • Dear Deidre on Identity  
  • Dear Deidre on Debt and Money 
  • Dear Deidre on Work
  • Dear Deidre on Health and Wellbeing 
  • Dear Deidre on Addiction

My son separated from his partner three years ago. They have two boys, aged seven and nine, who live with their mum.

She’s very anxious. Last week she rang an ambulance because she was convinced her eldest was having a brain haemorrhage.

It turned out to be just a headache.

I think she is agoraphobic too. She won’t leave the house and relies heavily on me and her son.

We do her weekly shop for her and take the children to school.

But now the kids are reluctant to go outside and only leave the house when my son makes them.

They hardly ever interact with youngters their age.

I can’t think what else to do but call social services.

Otherwise I’m worried they will grow up to be nervous wrecks – just like their mum.

Get in touch with Deidre

Every problem gets a personal reply, usually within 24 hours weekdays.

Send an email to [email protected]

You can also send a private message on the DearDeidreOfficial Facebook page.

Most read in Dear Deidre


Since I started transitioning, I've had sexual feelings for my best friend


My partner's questioning our relationship as I struggle with her autistic son


My son's porn addiction has cost me my relationship with my granddaughter


You helped me move on from my colleague and get my career back on track

DEIDRE SAYS: It does sound as if your daughter-in-law and grandchildren need urgent help

. Encourage your son to contact her doctor and ask for someone to visit.

You can also find help through Mind (mind.org.uk, 0300 123 3393).

The children need some urgent attention too. It may be better for your son to have custody, even if it is only temporarily, so your daughter-in-law can get better.

He can find help through the NSPCC (nspcc.org.uk, tel 0808 800 5000).

Keep doing everything you can for them – it sounds like you are really making a positive difference.

NEXT IN TODAY'S DEAR DEIDRE Builder lover says he will tell my husband unless I pay him hush money

READ DEIDRE'S STORIES Cheating Zoe begs for a place to stay after Liam kicks her out

GET IN TOUCH How the page works and how to contact us

    Source: Read Full Article