‘Kind-hearted’ mum-of-eight dies months after getting cancer all-clear

A "kind-hearted and selfless" mum-of-eight died just three months after being given the all-clear from cancer .

Sharon Owens was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma, a cancer that affects the bile ducts, in 2018 then told she was finally rid of the disease in October 2019 after undergoing surgery and chemotherapy.

But when she fell ill again just before Christmas she was told the cancer had returned and had spread to her liver and stomach, reports North Wales Live .

The 53-year-old from the town of Rhyl in Wales died on January 5, little more than two weeks after she got the dreaded diagnosis.

Now a huge fundraising driver has been launched as Sharon's eight children and 11 grandchildren hope to give her the "meaningful send-off she deserves".

Sharon's daughter-in-law, Louise Grace, has set up a crowdfunding page to raise money for Sharon's funeral.

"The family are finding it difficult as there was such little time between Sharon getting the all clear and the cancer coming back and spreading," Louise said.

  • Lucy Fallon to run London Marathon and raise £10k for charity in memory of auntie

  • Sir Roger Scruton dead: Former Tory adviser dies at 75 after cancer battle

"Sharon was kind-hearted, caring and selfless, always doing things for other people and putting them first."

Louise described Sharon as someone who "didn't have a lot" but who "gave a lot".

"She loved to bake and would make everything from scratch," Louise added.

"She was very crafty, knitting away when anyone had a baby, and always making beautiful dresses and tutus for her grandchildren.

"Sharon had a fantastic personality and sense of humour. She's even requested that we play 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen at her funeral."

Louise explained that they're a "hard-working family" but, like most families, as they work to cover bills and childcare they don't have "thousands set aside to cover the cost of a funeral".

She continued: "Some of her older children travelled from their homes in Lancashire, Manchester and south Wales to spend her last moments with her.

  • Boy, 3, dies from brain tumour doctors 'first thought was just a temperature'

"Her children spent nearly a week sleeping in the hospital on chairs and on the floor as she kept saying she was scared. They wanted to do what they could for her.

"The nurses at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd were amazing: nothing was too much, they did what they could and showed real compassion.

"We're very thankful for the volunteer that was able to bring her home for a few hours on Christmas Day also.

"She deserves the world and much more than we are able to give her."

Sharon's cousin, Chrissy Southward said: "Sharon was an amazing lady, always had a kind word and a smile no matter what she was going through.

"She supported me starting my business Pearlesque Boutique.

"All of my customers were upset by the news she had passed away and jumped on board to help raise funds, even though nobody had much to spare, but we managed to raise £150. I just wish I could do more."

A fundraising night is being held at the Front Room in Rhyl at 8pm on February 1, organised by Sharon's friend Cheryl Ellison, who described her as a "true warrior and inspiration to many".

Donations can be made via the crowdfunding page by  clicking here .

Source: Read Full Article