Mum-of-two, 51, blows £250,000 inheritance on drugs in 14 months

A woman has been banned from a Cambridge street for intimidating behaviour and shoplifting after she spent £250,000 on drugs and then became homeless.

Lorna Webb, 51, had inherited the money from a family member, but just over a year later she was sleeping rough on Mill Road in Cambridge.

She had been married, with two daughters and apparently owned two properties in the city before she became addicted to drugs, Cambridgeshire Live reports.

The 51-year-old said she was spending up to £600 a day during her 14-month-long binge, but when her money ran out she ended up sleeping in shop doorways.

  • Alison Lapper's agonising battle to save drug addict son who 'couldn't even wash'

  • Woman who shed more than 18 stone in three years left with 20lbs of excess skin

Last year she was reportedly living in the grounds of St Barnabas Church and said she was trying to keep herself out of trouble on Mill Road.

However, she has now been banned from the street for two years after being handed a criminal behaviour order.

Webb pleaded guilty to three counts of criminal damage, two counts of theft, two counts of assault by beating up an emergency worker and being drunk and disorderly when she appeared at Cambridge Magistrates' Court on November 25.

She was also given an 18-month community order and required to do 28 days rehabilitation activity.

PC Leigh Browne said: “Webb’s behaviour has caused members of the Mill Road community including residents, business owners and visitors harassment, alarm and distress for many years. Her behaviour is intimidating, disruptive and aggressive and often puts fear into the community.

“The order will protect the community from further harm.”

Webb's childhood was difficult as she was adopted and left home when she was 16.

She said: "I was adopted and brought up in Bury St Edmunds and ended up in Cheveley. I have two sets of parents, it's a bit hard to explain. I think I was adopted back to my original family. It's a bit like deja-vu going back in time and everything.

"Six months after being adopted, my mother, Pat, sent me back to my real parents. So within six months I have gone between two sets of parents."

"I was 19 when I first came to Cambridge and then settled here when I had my children at about 21.

"Before then I was a chambermaid and worked for Wolfson College. I also worked in a baker's which was shortlived. In hindsight I wish I had've kept that job as I wouldn't mind being a baker.

"So, I pretty much worked in catering, worked at Tattersalls on the racecourses."

She added: "I have two daughters. I had my first daughter, Sasha, at 21 or 22 and my other daughter Faith when I got married at 30, eight years later.

"I split up with my husband and I have no idea where he is now. I really have not got a clue."

Later on she inherited £250,000 from her adoptive father but she had already dabbled in drugs.

"When I got the money I was living locally, staying round friends and everything," she said.

"My mates are all addicts so there was no way that I was going to leave them without.

"If I could have balanced it a bit more I would have done something with it. I am glad the money went to the area. The dollar has got invested. I don't mean any disrespect to my family.

"I lost a lot of weight and had a nervous breakdown. The heroin stopped me eating.

"It's very painful when you put weight back on your body and then you lose it. When you have a nervous breakdown it is very painful to your body."

Source: Read Full Article