Thousands can claim emergency cost of living payment worth up to £1,000 for energy bills – check if you’re one of them | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households can claim emergency cost of living worth up to £1,000 to help pay for spiralling energy bills.

Councils across the country are launching urgent support packages of their own alongside the Household Support Fund to help hard-up residents.

Central government has dished out £1.5billion to councils since October last year under the Household Support Fund scheme.

Authorities have been given a portion of funding available to dish out to struggling households to pay for bills, essentials and more.

But many authorities have launched extra cost of living funds on top of this – and in some areas, you can get up to £1,000.

Camden Council has launched a £2million cost of living crisis fund this week for residents who cannot afford food, heating, rent water and energy bills.

Read more in Money

Everything you need to know about getting Household Support fund help

Exact date this month millions on benefits will get cost of living payment

You will be able to get a maximum of two £500 payments a year.

The help will be awarded on a case-by-case basis with the council prioritising those in need.

That means you should call for more information and if you could be eligible for the help on 020 7974 4444 and pressing option nine.

Camden Council isn't the only one launching extra cost of living grants.

Portsmouth Council will be giving thousands of pensioners £100 for free to help with energy bills.

Most read in Money


Liz Truss to freeze energy cap at £2,500 for four months… but no windfall tax


McDonald’s adds five items to menu TODAY – including spicy nuggets


Millions of British Gas customers to get £400 rebate direct into bank accounts

canned designs

Crumbling £40m ghost mansion bigger than Buckingham Palace left to rot

More than 6,000 pensioners on a low income will get the boost – there's no need to apply, the council is writing to those who are eligible.

You'll be able to get the cash if you:

  • were receiving pension credit or council tax support on May 31 2022
  • you or your partner will be over 66 on September 30 2022

Wolverhampton City Council has committed a further £1.1million this financial year to help residents battling against rising costs.

Households containing single adults will be given up to £65 in cash to help with the cost of food and energy.

To check what help is available in your area, find out who your local council is and ask them for more information.

You can check who your local council is by using the government’s local council checker tool by inputting your postcode. 

What if I don't live in these areas?

Even if your local council doesn't have a bonus cost of living crisis fund, it will still have a Household Support Fund.

Help varies from council to council – each one can choose how to spend the funding they have been given.

 Torbay Council offers residents a maximum amount of £50 towards food or energy bills, for example.

In Coventry, households can claim a one-off supermarket voucher worth £36.

Meanwhile, in Kensington and Chelsea residents can grab up to £150 to help cover household bills, food and clothing.

What other help can I get?

There are schemes and funds available to help you throughout the price hikes.

There are energy grants and schemes open to help you out if you're struggling, like the British Gas hardship fund which can lend you up to £1,500 free cash towards bills.

There's also the welfare assistance programme, which is similar to the Household Support Fund – you can get help for bills, cash help and food vouchers.

But some councils may not have a scheme in place – so check yours for more information.

All pensioners should also get an extra £300 payment in November or December to help pay for bills and essentials.

There's also a one-off fuel voucher from your energy supplier if you're on a prepayment meter.

Read More on The Sun

I have no collar bones & people are always stunned when I show them my ‘trick’

I get slammed for having my Christmas decs up early – but I have a good reason

Charities and organisations may also be able to help, on top of the providers that offer their own grants.

Here are some contacts that could lend a helping hand for the time being:

  • National Debtline – 0808 808 4000
  • Step Change – 0800 138 1111
  • Citizens Advice – 0808 800 9060

    Source: Read Full Article