Thug pours petrol onto ex’s flat and starts fire before sending sinister message
A man took revenge on his ex-girlfriend by setting fire to the block of flats where she lived.
Jack Robinson was spotted on CCTV emptying a can of petrol at the entrance and then running away after starting a massive blaze.
The 25-year-old's bid failed when the fire went out by itself – but he is now serving 12 years in jail for arson and criminal damage.
Robinson messaged his ex-girlfriend after the attack saying: "You got what was coming."
He pleaded guilty at Chester Crown Court to arson that was reckless as to whether life was endangered, criminal damage and one count of threatening to damage or destroy property.
A video shows Robinson filling up a container with petrol at a filling station on February 12 at around 3.45am, using his girlfriend's card to pay for the fuel.
The arsonist then walks up to the 15-storey block in Macclesfield, Cheshire, and begins dousing the doorway in petrol.
Robinson empties the entire can around the building entrance as he tries to light up the puddle of petrol.
He then ignites the petrol and a raging fire quickly forms. Robinson then sprints away towards the getaway car driven by girlfriend Kayleigh Woods.
The fire can then be seen on CCTV roaring at the entrance. However, it eventually burnt out unassisted.
Robinson from Sandbach, Cheshire, was assisted by Woods, 26, who said she did it out of "fear and love for him."
Woods pleaded guilty to one count of assisting an offender and has been sentenced to prison for two years, suspended for 18 months and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.
Detective constable Alison Shields, of Cheshire Police, said today: "I am very pleased that this case has come to a conclusion and the sentence Robinson has received shows the gravity of his crimes.
"Arson is a very serious crime and in this case stemmed from Robinson's bullying behaviour and attitude towards women.
"This was a domestic related incident. Robinson intended to cause harm to his ex-partner.
"Robinson and Woods gave no regards to the residents of the flats and their behaviour put hundreds of residents at risk. Thankfully the fire door on the building did its job and burnt out before taking hold.
"Had the fire spread then the consequences to all the residents could have potentially been catastrophic."
Source: Read Full Article