Daniel Craig knew from his Bond debut in Casino Royale that he wanted 007 to die

  • Bookmark
  • Join the 007 fan club: sign up for the latest news on James Bond

    We have more newsletters

    Daniel Craig has revealed he knew from his James Bond debut in the 2006 blockbuster Casino Royale that he would ultimately want the character to be killed off.

    The 54-year old bowed out of the 007 role following his fifth movie – 2021's No Time To Die.

    The actor originally expected to his tenure to last just one outing, however, but that all changed after his performance earned rave reviews and breathed new life into the franchise.

    A long-term plan was subsequently devised with producer Barbara Broccoli.

    READ MORE: Next James Bond teased as favourite has 'already filmed gun barrel shot' scene

    He told Sunday Times Culture magazine: "I was driving away from the Berlin premiere of Casino Royale with Barbara Broccoli. I had genuinely thought I would do one Bond movie, then it would be over. But by then we knew we had a hit on our hands."

    He continued: "I realised the enormity of it, so I said to Barbara, 'How many more? Three? Four?' She said, 'Four!' I said, 'OK. Then can I kill him off?' She said, 'Yes.'"

    Four would eventually become five though, before Craig fulfilled his wish of seeing Bond die.

    His death, however, had to be kept secret because MGM studio bosses weren’t thrilled at the idea of killing off such an icon.

    The character's passing, meanwhile, came in an explosion after he decided to remain on an island after being infected with a biological weapon that left him unable to touch his lover Dr Madeleine Swann or their daughter ever again.

    Discussing that scene, he added: "Real tragedy is when you have absolutely no choice. We had to find a way to make his death no choice. It was the happiest Bond had ever been because he’d found exactly what he was looking for. Like everyone on Earth, he was just looking for love."

    For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

    The bookies favourite to be the next James Bond is rumoured to have already filmed the iconic opening scene for the film franchise.

    The Sun reports that Bullet Train and Kick Ass star Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 32, has already filmed the classic gun-shot 007 barrel teaser, with filmmaker Eon Productions set to reveal the next James Bond star in March 2023.

    However, there has been no confirmation from Eon Productions or Aaron Taylor-Johnson that the star has signed to be the next Bond.

    Instead, a movie insider has told The Sun: "Aaron has impressed bosses so much that he has filmed one of the franchise’s famous gun barrel teaser scenes, something all the Bond actors do. That move takes him a step closer to signing a deal.

    "Bosses at the brand were really impressed with his unique blend of acting intensity and his impressive back catalogue of action films."

    The news follows reports that the Bullet Train star has also completed a top secret screen test at Pinewood Studios, Berkshire last month.

    READ NEXT:

    • Sean Connery’s widow Micheline, 93, wows in barely-there nude bikini on family getaway

    • GoldenEye Bond girl Izabella, 52, hasn't aged a day since her screen debut 27 years ago

    • Former Bond girl Jane Seymour wants to make a return to the 007 franchise

    • James Bond
    • Daniel Craig

    Source: Read Full Article