Tones And I Dominates 2019 ARIA Awards With Four Wins
The ‘Dance Monkey’ hitmaker nabs the Best Female Artist prize and the Breakthrough Artist kudo among others, while Taylor Swift is named Best International Artist.
AceShowbiz –Tones And I was the big winner at Australia’s ARIA Awards on Wednesday, November 27, taking home four of the eight awards she was nominated for.
The 19-year-old star, real name Toni Watson, has enjoyed huge success worldwide with her tune “Dance Monkey”, and kicked off the awards ceremony by taking home the Best Female Artist prize.
Taking to the stage to accept the gong, Watson said she is thrilled she’s been accepted for who she is, because she was worried she wasn’t “relatable” due to not being into “girly stuff.”
“To me, those things don’t really define what it is to be a female artist in this industry anymore,” she told the crowd. “It’s being brave and courageous and true to yourself. No one could have ever prepared me for the whole world judging me and comparing you to other artists. But what’s most important is that you have to be a good person and care about others and carry yourself well.”
Tones And I also won the Best Pop Release award for “Dance Monkey”, as well as the Best Independent Release and Breakthrough Artist gongs, joking as she took to the stage once again, “I only wrote one speech!”
Other winners at the ceremony included Dean Lewis, who claimed the Best Male Artist prize, The Teskey Brothers, who were awarded with the Best Group gong, and Hilltop Hoods, who won the award for Best Australian Live Act.
Taylor Swift was named Best International Artist and appeared via satellite alongside beloved cat Olivia to accept the prize, telling the crowd, “This is so insane. Thank you so much. I’m very, very honoured, as is Olivia. She’s very, very excited about this. I can’t wait to see you all again in Australia, and I will not bring cats. I know that I can’t do that. I love you guys.”
The main winners of 2019 ARIA Awards are as follows:
- Album Of The Year: Dean Lewis – “A Place We Knew”
- Best Male Artist: Dean Lewis
- Best Female Artist: Tones And I
- Best Dance Release: Rufus Du Sol – “Solace”
- Best Group: The Teskey Brothers
- Breakthrough Artist: Tones And I
- Best Pop Release: Tones And I – “Dance Monkey”
- Best Hip Hop Release: Sampa The Great
- Best Soul/R&B Release: Kaiit
- Best Independent Release: Tones And I – “The Kids Are Coming”
- Best Rock Album: Amyl and The Sniffers – “Amyl and The Sniffers”
- Best Adult Contemporary Album: Paul Kelly – “Nature”
- Best Country Album: Morgan Evans – “Things That We Drink To”
- Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album: Northlane – “Alien”
- Best Blues & Roots Album: The Teskey Brothers – “Run Home Slow”
- Best Children’s Album: Dan Sultan – “Nali & Friends”
- Best Comedy Release: Arj Barker – “Organic”
- Best Video presented by YouTube Music: Guy Sebastian – “Choir”
- Best Australian Live Act: Hilltop Hoods – “The Great Expanse World Tour”
- Song Of The Year presented by YouTube Music: Guy Sebastian – “Choir”
- Best International Artist: Taylor Swift
Source: Read Full Article