FTC Files Another Attempt to Block Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard Acquisition
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is moving forward with its plans to block Microsoft’s $69 billion USD purchase of Activision Blizzard. The independent agency had previously filed a bid to delay the buyout in July, an effort that was denied by a judge.
Following preliminary approval from the UK’s authority on the matter, the Competition and Markets Authority, the deal is scheduled to take place before October 18 on the condition that Microsoft sells off Activision’s cloud gaming rights to Ubisoft. The FTC has returned to challenge the acquisition once again, filing a new complaint against the merger that argues the deal will still harm market competition.
“The FTC continues to believe this deal is a threat to competition,” FTC spokesperson Victoria Graham said, per Bloomberg.
The FTC’s case will be heard before an administrative law judge 21 days after the US Court of Appeals gives its opinion on the matter, but given the UK’s approval, it’s likely the acquisition will go through as planned.
“We’re focused on working with Microsoft toward closing. How the FTC uses limited taxpayer dollars is its decision,” an Activision spokesperson said.
“We still anticipate that we will close the transaction by October 18, and we have full confidence in our case and the deal’s benefits to gamers and competition,” a Microsoft spokesperson added.
In other gaming news, Counter-Strike 2 has officially released.
Source: Read Full Article